Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 3! Spinach and Tomato Pasta Bake! Elizabeth Taylor!

.
I missed day 2. Oops. Actually I skipped it. Day 2 called for "a picture of you and someone you have been closest to the longest" . . . I don't have any qualifying pictures on my computer and no access to a scanner until work next week. Oh well.

Day 3: A picture of the cast from your favorite show.



My So-Called Life. Obviously. I was like 12 when this show came on and it changed my life. I immediately dyed my hair reddish purple and embraced all that was flannel and grunge. I also thank it for my love of gay boys and wild friends. Don't even get me started on Jordan Catalano and how many guys I've briefly dated because they resemble him and have long hair in their eyes. Sigh. I still love it. Thanks to my wonderful Mom (who I think actually introduced me to the show) I own the one and only season (boo) on DVD and love to spend a day off torturing Mike and watching it.


Moving on: We have been trying to eat healthier in our house. I recently created this fabulous pasta salad and wanted to share. It's super yummy, super easy and vegetarian friendly!!

Spinach Tomato Pasta Bake (pictured above)

-Baby Spinach leaves (I usually use half a bag and de-stem them)
-1 can of Roasted Onion and Garlic diced tomatoes (14.5 oz by Red Gold undrained)
-1/2 can of tomato paste (smallest can you can find- I sometimes just use a bit of tomato sauce)
-1/2 can of water (I use diced tomato can)
-2 cups rotini (I use tri-color because it makes it pretty! but whole wheat would be great!)
-3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
-2 Tbsps grated Parm

1-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2-Cook rotini per instructions on box. Drain.
3- In a skillet add tomatoes, water and spinach leaves. Stir and cook on medium heat. Cover and let spinach wilt down. Add water.
3- In a glass pan, pour rotini. Add spinach and tomato mixture. Stir. Add paste or sauce just to wet the noodles a bit. NOT A LOT. (a Tablespoon or two will do) This is not a saucy dish.
4- Add mozzarella and parmesan to the top.

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!! We love this dish! You could easily add meat to it but I think it's great without it! You can also make it healthier by reducing the cheese. Fresh tomatoes probably wouldn't work as well because you really need the sauce and water in the can. Super easy and so pretty!!

Hope everyone is enjoying their day! It was so nice out yesterday (except for about 15 minutes of rain and a 30 freak hail storm) but today it is cold and spitting snow. Boo! Looks like it's going to be cold on my birthday tomorrow :(

PS- Was sad to hear about Elizabeth Taylor yesterday. She was so beautiful and talented and I believe she was the last of the great movie stars. I like to imagine that Richard was waiting for her and they are happy together now :)

3 comments:

Jasmine said...

The death of Elizabeth Taylor was a great tragedy. I was sad too.

Congrats on the veggie dish! We love our veggies in the Myers household. Ryan loves them! Who would have thunk it?!? :D

Elizabeth said...

Wait, there was only one season of My So Called Life?

Elizabeth said...

Wait, there was only one season of My So-Called Life?