Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Jenn's chili!! Pineapple Upside down cake!!


Is anyone else over winter? I am. We had 3 days of sunshine and then it turned cold and rainy and I'm pretty sure I saw some light snow flakes earlier. Yuck. I am ready for sunshine and warmth!!

Now that winters ending I've finally perfected my chili recipe (well I think so- last time my noodles got soggy but I'm pretty sure that was my fault- I left the crockpot on warm too long- oops!) I'm not a big chili person- until this winter I'd actually never made it. Mike loves it (super spicy, super runny and no noodles) I prefer it mildly spicy, thick and with noodles. I think I've found a compromise. This chili is spicy (super spicy day 2), slightly runny but has noodles. It seems to make both of us happy and on day 2 I just add crackers to lessen the spice. This feeds us for days and is usually given away to family members as well so plenty for a family of 4 or 5!! Here goes:

Jenn's Chili

Step 1:
1lb beef (cooked and drained)
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 c onion minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Italian Seasoning

Add garlic, onion and seasonings to beef in skillet. Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Step 2:
1 can crushed tomatoes (22 ounce? I think- whatever the big one is)
2 cans diced tomatoes (I've been using Red Gold's Roasted garlic and onions 14.5 ounce cans)
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp chipolte powder
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp tabasco sauce
2 cups water
1/2 c red wine vinegar
1TBsp Worcestershire sauce

Add to crock pot. Add meat mixture. Stir. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Enjoy the wonderful smell that fills your house. Your welcome.

Step 3:
Cook 1 and 1/2 cup macaroni. Add to crockpot with 45 minutes left to cook.



Super creepy picture of the boys playing with glow swords from the Dollar Tree . . . best 3 dollars I ever spent. Mine was purple.

I've been cooking like crazy lately- we are trying to eat at home a lot. In the past month we've had meatball subs (my new favorite thing to make), Spinach and Prosciutto lasagna rolls (my signature dish), bbq ribs (they never turn out like Moms- what am I doing wrong!?), and TGIFriday's Sesame chicken strips with Jack Daniels sauce (homemade- soo good but a definite high maintenance recipe- will post soon) I also made a pineapple upside down cake and found out the answer to the question- can you make a cake with bread flour? (Answer: Yes but it is extremely dense- actually worked really well with pineapple but probably not for a normal cake)



Parenthood's on so I'm off- If you haven't watched this show, you should! It's so good!!

Have a great week!! ;) ~Jenn

1 comment:

Jael said...

Yay!! I'm going to be trying the chili, but I'm with Mike on how I like it!! :) Super spicy!!!!